Sunday 5 March 2017

Sunday On The Allotment - Sunday 5 March 2017

St Ives Cornwall - Allotment - March
St Ives Cornwall - Allotment - March


Braving the changeable West Cornwall weather - wind and showers speeding over from The Atlantic - I headed out to my allotment this morning.

Wonderful to see more signs of Spring - yellow gorse flowers and daffodils out in the hedgerows.

Allotment Growing - Strawberries
Allotment Growing - Strawberries
My main task for today was yet another session clearing weeds from my Strawberry patch. Hard work and tedious but rewarding. I finally got the whole bed cleared and tidied up. Ready for the plants (hopefully) to spring into life this month.

Allotment Growing - Strawberries
Allotment Growing - Strawberries
Next I added a light dressing of compost, which should feed the plants and keep down the weeds a bit. Or maybe not - might encourage the weeds to grow! What I'm  hoping is that the Strawberries will outpace and outgrow the weeds - they usually do. Next week I'll add a sprinkling of chicken manure pellets to add a bit more nutrient to the soil.

Allotment Growing - Strawberries In Winter
Allotment Growing - Strawberries In Winter
For new growers - the plants do look a bit dead at this time of year. Do not worry - they will recover from Winter and start growing on soon as the weather warms.

Allotment Growing - Strawberries - New Growth
Allotment Growing - Strawberries - New Growth
If you look carefully, there are already signs of new green growth.
A promise of lovely fruit to come in June.

St Ives Cornwall Allotment - Late Winter
St Ives Cornwall Allotment - Late Winter
Next weekend - I'll get my first early potatoes in the ground. I'll also sow some more Broad Beans. The beds are pretty much ready - just need a bit more clearing and tidying up.

St Ives Cornwall Allotment - Penwith Hills
St Ives Cornwall Allotment - Penwith Hills
Final view from the plot in the sunshine as I headed for home. If you look carefully you can see the chimneys of the old tin mine engine houses up on the hill. As well as a sea view my allotment has lovely views over the Penwith Hills.


St Ives Cornwall Allotment - Penwith Hills
St Ives Cornwall Allotment - Penwith Hills
If you look even more carefully you might even see Ross Poldark and Demelza galloping across the horizon! The show is filmed just up the coast around Botallack and Pendeen.

1 comment:

  1. Your area looks a lot like mine. Not a lot growing yet. Daffodils etc. What fun it would be to head over and watch some of the filming of the Poldark series.

    ReplyDelete