Tuesday 21 March 2017

Spring On The Allotment - First Sowings - Turnips - Carrots

St Ives Cornwall Allotment - March Sunshine
St Ives Cornwall Allotment - March Sunshine


More Spring sowings on the allotment - while at the same time I try to reign in my impatience.

Peas - have sown some in cardboard tubes in a sheltered corner of the garden. But sowings on the allotment must wait until April! Or so I tell myself - wonder if I'll stick to that resolution?

Two crops that I feel can go in, with a reasonable chance of germination in 2 to 3 weeks, are Turnips and early Carrots.

Allotment Growing - Turnips - Veitches Red Globe

In line with my crop rotation plan, the Turnips have gone into the Brassica bed - this is where they belong. I'm trying a new variety this year, bought on eBay (reasonably priced and free postage) - from Just Seeds. Veitches Red Globe - which according to the seed packet - are "A small round variety with tender white flesh, ideal for sowing in Spring".

I've also sown one row of carrots in the Roots bed - where they will be followed later by Black Salsify and Leeks. A tried and trusted variety - Amsterdam Forcing.



Read more ......
Allotment Growing - Turnips

Allotment Growing - Sweetcorn

Visit my website - Allotment Growing
- for lots more information, growing tips and photos:
Allotment Growing

You might also enjoy:
Allotment With A Sea View - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment