Sunday 13 December 2015

Sunday On The Allotment - 13 Dec - Winter Harvest

St Ives Cornwall Allotment - December 2015
St Ives Cornwall Allotment - December 2015


At last - today - a break in the stormy weather in Cornwall - and I managed to get out to my plot for the first time in a couple of weeks.

 St Ives Cornwall Allotment - December 2015
I even caught a glimpse of sunshine over the hills  !

I checked the weather forecast early this morning - and saw a window of opportunity - so headed out to my St Ives allotment.

More rain on the way soon - but for now - a nice Sunday.

 St Ives Cornwall Allotment - December 2015

The plot is looking fairly good for December - and I'm pleased - or maybe a bit smug depending on how you look at it - with the work that I managed to put in during October and November. See my earlier post::
Autumn Allotment Jobs - Preparing Ground

One pleasure today was harvesting a few late crops - including Cabbages, Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes.


 St Ives Cornwall Allotment - December 2015
I harvested the bulk of my maincrop potatoes - Pink Fir Apple - back at the end of Summer.

But I "clamped" one row - that is removed the foliage and covered it with an extra layer of soil - to hopefully store and preserve the crop in the ground.

This has worked - and I dug up a nice bagful of good looking fresh potatoes.

St Ives Allotment - Brussels Sprouts
I've been hoping for a crop of Brussels Sprouts for Christmas - and the plants have been growing on through the Autumn.

These are looking fairly good - though some of the sprouts are a bit small - given the amount of growing time that they've had.

But I harvested enough to go into the freezer if needed for Christmas dinner - and I'll harvest some more nearer the time if I can.

St Ives Allotment - Savoy Cabbage
Final harvest of the day - a couple of cabbages - almost the last of the Summer crop.

These are Savoy Cabbages.

Next year I hope to grow some Winter and Spring varieties to extend cropping through to April or May.

St Ives Allotment - Compost Heap
The last job of the day was simply digging out more of my compost and throwing it onto the beds.

I'm already planning for more crops - and more blog posts - next year.

Can't wait for Spring !




Allotment Growing - Sweetcorn

Visit my website - Allotment Growing
- for lots more information, growing tips and photos:
Allotment Growing

You might also enjoy:
Allotment Growing - Calendar - Monthly Jobs 


1 comment:

  1. Great photos and interesting text - I'm enjoying this new portal into life in St Ives!

    ReplyDelete